Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Frederick Trivia I didn't know

I'm finding so much cool stuff about Frederick that I didn't know I thought I'd share some of it with you:

  • The Barbara Fritchie House ... Here it stands, this hallowed Civil War monument to a patriotic old lady's defiance of the Southern rebels. It never happened... the whole thing was hyped up by Fritchie's niece added the story to embellish her aunt's reputation

  • Maryland was first to enact Workman's compensation laws in 1902.

  • Mount Airy is unique because two counties, Carroll and Frederick, divide it.

  • The Community Bridge Mural Project in Frederick transformed a plain concrete bridge into the stunning illusion of an old stone bridge. The entire structure was painted by hand by an artist and his assistants, using advanced trompe l'oeil ("deceive the eye") techniques.

  • Issue #17
    November 11, 2008

    If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my RSS feed or via email to ensure you can enjoy the latest post(s).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment